Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Can You Meet Me Halfway?

What is it with me correlating my thoughts to songs lately? HA! Thank you Black Eyed Peas for a little inspiration.
May the muses be with you!

Today was an extremely challenging day. It started with a two hour endeavor trying to get my lady from her bed to the wheelchair to the commode. After multiple attempts with help from three different caregivers, and after I hurt my back once again, we finally ended up putting this sweet lady back in bed. There was absolutely nothing more we can do.

The problem was fear. She was afraid to use her legs because she feared they would fail her. Instead of risking the brief pain and pushing through that fear, she ended up punishing herself by staying in bed. It broke my heart to see her like that. I felt completely helpless.

As I sat with her today, I couldn't help but see an extremely important life lesson through that experience. I watched as she gave up. I literally did all that I could, but she wasn't willing to meet me halfway. (It's hard not to sing that line as I type it)

I realized this afternoon that my issues as of late with my relationships stem from that exact dilemma. When someone doesn't meet you in the middle, the other person ends up getting hurt. Of course now I am speaking of emotional pain. One person suffers at the sake of someone else's fear and refusal to be balanced in whatever type of relationship that it is.

Taking on extreme weight of the other person, whether it be favors, attention, their own struggles, time, money ... the list goes on and on! Eventually, the other person is going to snap.

At that moment, after I have realized that I allowed myself to be physically injured by her lack of effort, I also realized I was allowing myself to be neglected and unloved emotionally. And that isn't right. I should have pulled back and waited for assistance with my lady instead of putting myself in a position to be hurt. Now I can't do basic things I need to do. I also shouldn't let others stay in my life who are not willing to meet me in the middle, carry half the weight. I allowed myself to get hurt emotionally by holding on to dead weight, and this causes me to be depressed and frustrated,  making me useless to those who deserve my all and my everything, like my kids.

So that's where I am at. Standing at the borderline where I will wait for you. My b borderline is visible, and crossing it will not do either of us any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment